cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discuss: Switching cxf to git
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:40:44 GMT

On Jan 22, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Alessio Soldano <asoldano@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 22/01/14 15:30, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>> Few thoughts though:
>>
>> 1) Lets wait until after at least milestone2.   We’re close and I don’t want
to screw any of that up.

>> 2) I’d LIKE to rebuild the git repo and possibly remove all the /incubator revisions
and tags.  Kind of “start” at the graduation.  Maybe a bit before at the 2.0-incubator
release.   Or at least all the “lib” dirs out of them.   That would chop about 100MB out
of the .git directory making it a LOT smaller.   The original codebase kept .jar files in
the repo which sucks with git.   I’m really not sure how much of the history and tags from
2005/2006 is at all important anymore so this is likely not a big deal.   Plus, the history
is still in SVN if we really need it.
> +1 on pruning the incubator stuff and the old libs.
>
> Who is going to process pull requests? you? (really just to know which process is being
adopted)

Anyone who is a committer will be able to “push” changes into the canonical repo here
at Apache.

Honestly, for committers, you can use git just like you you git-svn or just svn today.   Just
instead of “git svn dcommit” or “svn commit” it would be a “git push”.    If you
don’t want your workflow to change, you don’t really need it to change.   The commands
are just a little different and many of the operations perform much faster.

--
Daniel Kulp