cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Aki Yoshida <elak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing WS-RM default to terminate on shutdown
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2013 14:48:13 GMT
Hi Dan,
yes. we could terminate the unused empty sequences at the shutdown or
at the next restart. but those sequences that are not terminated
should not normally cause any problem for the cxf ws-rm client as
these sequences are reused at the restart as long as they are still
valid and they will be terminated when their expiration time or size
is reached.  And if someone wants to terminate an empty sequence at
shutdown, they can always set terminateOnShutdown to true. But we
could add an option to not reuse the old empty sequence at restart and
terminate it if that helps.

I think, as long as the client either terminates each unused old
sequence or keeps reusing the old sequence, it is well behaved. In
contrast, when the client keeps creating a new sequence and never
terminates those sequences, it's a bad client for himself and for the
communicating server. And the server needs to protect against such bad
clients. For this, for instance, the property maxSequence can be set
at the server to limit the number of active sequences.

regards, aki

2013/9/2 Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org>:

> On Sep 2, 2013, at 3:57 AM, Aki Yoshida <elakito@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dennis,
>> You mean you want to terminate the active sequence when the endpoint
>> is shutdown? Maybe I am getting what you meant. A sequence should
>> survive a crash or a normal endpoint shutdown because the persisted
>> messages for that ws-rm endpoint must survive. So I don't think we
>> should change the default setting.
>
> What if we don't have any outstanding messages?   In that case, could we go ahead and
terminate the sequence?

> If there are messages, should we add a "terminate" message to the DB so upon restart
or similar, the messages would be sent out and then the terminate sent?