cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can LocalConduit use Direct Dispatch by default ?
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 22:42:25 GMT

On Jul 30, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan, others
>
> Do you remember why LocalConduit uses a piped-style communication by default ? The problem
with that it causes calls with empty payloads hang (plenty of cases with RS but also possible
with SOAP GET for ex), unless users go and enable a direct dispatch style.

If I remember correctly, the main reason is that using the Pipe enables ALL the interceptors
and such to work exactly like they would if you used HTTP.  Thus, you get a more accurate
and similar path if you are trying to do a more complete test.   With DIRECT_DISPATCH, a ton
of things would be bypassed and thus stream based interceptors and such that you may expect
to trigger wouldn't.

> I'd rather go and enable the direct dispatch style by default, will make things a bit
simpler for users (no need to know about LocalConduit.DIRECT_DISPATCH unless really needed,
and if they will need a piped style then they'd disable it by setting LocalConduit.DIRECT_DISPATCH
to false)

I'm OK flipping it, but I'd also want to try and actually fix the problem.    Can you create
a small test case and @Ignore it and point me at it?   Then I can try and update the Local
transport to actually work properly for that case.

--
Daniel Kulp