cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code style
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 13:32:30 GMT

> This is the result of the DOSGi codebase having no style enforced at all, I'd suggest
to copy the CXF rules there

+1 to that!    Just getting the CXF rules setup and enforced would help a lot.

Dan

On May 21, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amichai
> On 21/05/13 10:28, A. Rothman wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad you brought styling up for discussion, since there are various
>> inconsistencies in the current code base:
>>
>> - Line lengths are indeed one issue I've noticed - I'd go for 120 chars
>> per line as well, though it's not as important as being consistent.
>> There are currently lines that are broken also at less than 100 chars,
>> at awkward places, for no apparent reason.
>>
>> - Whitespace: there are currently places where tabs are used for
>> indentation instead of spaces, as well as many trailing spaces (which
>> were introducing many artificial diffs in patches I submitted).
>>
>> - There are occasional blank lines added at unhelpful locations, e.g.
>> before the closing brace of a method, or between two closing braces of
>> two nested blocks.
>>
>> - Some method definitions have parameter lists stacked with one
>> parameter per line with a common left-aligned margin, whereas others use
>> regular line-continuation rules and indentation (I personally much
>> prefer the latter).
>>
>> - Inconsistent naming of variables, even of the same type and meaning in
>> very adjacent code.
>>
>> - while javadocs are mostly missing, also the existing ones often don't
>> conform to the standard javadoc conventions.
>>
>> - Various other inconsistencies I can't remember at the moment, but
>> which made review and work on the code harder for a newcomer (and would
>> make maintenance harder and more error-prone for existing devs as well).
>>
>> It would be great to do a one-time sweep and fix all the existing
>> inconsistencies and respective rules, once the standard is decided upon,
>> and to better enforce them in the future.
>
> This is the result of the DOSGi codebase having no style enforced at all, I'd suggest
to copy the CXF rules there

> Hi Christian: IMHO the longer the lines the more difficult they are to read, though I
guess much depends on the screen resolution and how many editors are open :-), etc... I probably
don't mind if it's 110 or 120 limit, I'd try to keep it within 100 anyway :-)

--
Daniel Kulp