cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Netty transport for CXF
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 02:05:03 GMT

On May 26, 2013, at 11:54 PM, Willem jiang <willem.jiang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you know Netty[1] provides excellent supports of NIO and you  can still get the full
control of protocol handler. It could be useful if we provides a Netty transport of CXF.

Are you proposing some sort of proprietary Netty transport or are you thinking of using Netty's
HTTP stuff to create another HTTP implementation for CXF?

> I just did a prototype of support Netty transport for CXF, it include the server side
implementation and client side implementation. And I did some performance compare tests by
running the wsdl_first from examples with Jetty transport and Netty transport and using Jmeter
to send the requests. The test results are much similar,  Netty transport and Jetty transport
can hit the highest processing recorder with the throughput of 9M per second in my MacBookPro.
 I only performance turning I did was just changing the thread pool size of ExecutionHandler
which will be used to call the whole soap stake of CXF.

When I looked at Netty's HTTP client stuff (over a year ago now), I had MAJOR problems getting
it to stream large messages.  The small messages worked great and did have good performance,
but once we could no longer buffer the whole message and wanted to get it streaming in chunks,
I could never get it working.  That said, that was a long time ago and they may have fixed
all the bugs related to that.

> I'd like to commit the prototype into Apache CXF trunk, and we could polish the transport
together :)
> Any thought?

Sure.   On the client side, if it's sticking to HTTP, I'd like to see it plug into the HTTPConduit
like the async client version does.  That's something we could work on though.   Speaking
of asyncclient version, they supposedly have a new version that is supposedly significantly
faster.   On my todo list to look at.  :-(

--
Daniel Kulp