cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts about a 2.8 release (or not)…
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:16:40 GMT

I never really did follow up on this.

Looking at the responses, I think we're in something close to an agreement that a 2.8 cannot
be done right now (or it doesn't make sense to do so) and moving toward 3.0 make sense.

Thus, I'd like to go ahead an make trunk to be targeting 3.0.   The main chunks of work right
now for it involve the JAX-RS 2.0 work and the WSS4J 2.0 work.   The WSS4J stuff is on a branch
right now, but I'd like to see a little more stability there before merging to trunk.  Maybe
a couple weeks away.

Once we start targeting a 3.0, I'd definitely like to open it up for other ideas.   My immediate
plan is to pull the WSDL4J requirements out of the transports somehow to allow a pure jaxrs
app to not need any WSDL things.   I'm thinking about also pulling the wsdlmanager, ws-addressing
stuff, various soap specific things, etc…  out of api/core to reduce the size of those for
JAX-RS apps.  Not quite sure what that would look like yet, but it certainly would make sense
to do for a 3.0 version.

I'd definitely recommend folks to update:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/30-migration-guide.html
and
http://cxf.apache.org/roadmap.html
(both of which are horribly outdated)

Please add any ideas or thought or other things that have bugged you.

Dan

On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> We're getting close to April which normally would be the next release (2.8).   However,
looking things over, I'm not sure it makes sense at this time.    Looking at trunk, the only
major change (which is admittedly a big one), is updating the JAX-RS 2.0 stuff from m10  to
the RC level.   However, it's not complete yet.   Almost everything else has been back ported
to 2.7.x.   The other major chunk of work that is happening is on the wss4j2 branch, but that
isn't ready for for release yet either.   (and has some backwards compat issues to resolve
if it would go on a 2.x line)

> According to the agreements Apache has with Oracle, we really cannot "release" code that
doesn't pass the TCK (which the 2.0 works would not).   Technically, we should not have released
2.7.0 as a release.  We can release things like "tech previews" or "beta" or similar, but
not a full release.   Since we are working on trying to renew the agreements, Oracle is paying
attention to us pretty closely right now.

> So, what am I getting at?   In order to release 2.8 in a few weeks, we'd either need
to back out all the JAX-RS 2.0 stuff to 1.1 level OR everyone jump in full force and get it
to pass the TCK.   I really don't see either happening.   Backing out to 1.1 would be silly
and the 2.0 TCK stuff is a ton of work.   Thus, my suggestion would be to skip a big release
this April and concentrate on bigger things for our Oct/Nov release.  Possibly make that a
CXF 3.0 release instead of 2.8 where we can clean up some stuff, break a few things (like
change the couple API's that currently force WSDL4J on JAX-RS users), etc…    We can incorporate
the WSS4J2 changes as part of this as well.    If we go this route, we could likely start
a series of "beta" releases or similar in June or so to get people looking at it and testing
with it.

> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp