cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Pell <jp...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts about a 2.8 release (or not)…
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:04:45 GMT
Hi,

It makes sense that a 2.8 would bring significant and complete
implementation of new features with possibly some broken api
compatibility (although less than what we could do for a 3.0).

I think delaying until later in the year and instead focus on ensuring
that the 2.7.X, 2.6.x and 2.5.x are the best they can be is an
excellent idea.  Nothing worse than a big release just for the sake of
it.

I think passing the TCK for the JAX-XX standards is really important
because it makes CXF more of a viable alternative to the reference
implementation.  Also I would think we can't really say we implement
JAX-WS and JAX-RS unless we actually implement the standard 100% and
pass the TCK.

Just my 2c

Cheers
Jason

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Jeff Genender <jgenender@apache.org> wrote:
> Or… don't claim its a certified release…
>
> Jeff
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> We're getting close to April which normally would be the next release (2.8).   However,
looking things over, I'm not sure it makes sense at this time.    Looking at trunk, the only
major change (which is admittedly a big one), is updating the JAX-RS 2.0 stuff from m10  to
the RC level.   However, it's not complete yet.   Almost everything else has been back ported
to 2.7.x.   The other major chunk of work that is happening is on the wss4j2 branch, but that
isn't ready for for release yet either.   (and has some backwards compat issues to resolve
if it would go on a 2.x line)

>> According to the agreements Apache has with Oracle, we really cannot "release" code
that doesn't pass the TCK (which the 2.0 works would not).   Technically, we should not have
released 2.7.0 as a release.  We can release things like "tech previews" or "beta" or similar,
but not a full release.   Since we are working on trying to renew the agreements, Oracle is
paying attention to us pretty closely right now.

>> So, what am I getting at?   In order to release 2.8 in a few weeks, we'd either need
to back out all the JAX-RS 2.0 stuff to 1.1 level OR everyone jump in full force and get it
to pass the TCK.   I really don't see either happening.   Backing out to 1.1 would be silly
and the 2.0 TCK stuff is a ton of work.   Thus, my suggestion would be to skip a big release
this April and concentrate on bigger things for our Oct/Nov release.  Possibly make that a
CXF 3.0 release instead of 2.8 where we can clean up some stuff, break a few things (like
change the couple API's that currently force WSDL4J on JAX-RS users), etc…    We can incorporate
the WSS4J2 changes as part of this as well.    If we go this route, we could likely start
a series of "beta" releases or similar in June or so to get people looking at it and testing
with it.