cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts about a 2.8 release (or not)…
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:56:22 GMT

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Jeff Genender<jgenender@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Or… don't claim its a certified release…
That may work too. One problem is that JAX-RS 2.0 is nearly finalized
but not yet and I'm not sure when Apache will get the final TCK after that.

As far as JAX-RS 2.0 is concerned, CXF will not have a 'bullet-proof'
implementation in a few weeks time, so I'm also fine with not releasing
2.8.0 in April, but I like Dan's idea to consider doing a beta release
or few of them during the summer time; I think those users who work with
JAX-RS should have an option to play with the final API as soon as
realistically possible, before they start considering trying the
friendly implementations from Oracle or JBoss :-)

Thanks, Sergey

>> Jeff
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Daniel Kulp<dkulp@apache.org>  wrote:
>>

>>> We're getting close to April which normally would be the next release (2.8).
  However, looking things over, I'm not sure it makes sense at this time.    Looking at trunk,
the only major change (which is admittedly a big one), is updating the JAX-RS 2.0 stuff from
m10  to the RC level.   However, it's not complete yet.   Almost everything else has been
back ported to 2.7.x.   The other major chunk of work that is happening is on the wss4j2 branch,
but that isn't ready for for release yet either.   (and has some backwards compat issues to
resolve if it would go on a 2.x line)

>>> According to the agreements Apache has with Oracle, we really cannot "release"
code that doesn't pass the TCK (which the 2.0 works would not).   Technically, we should not
have released 2.7.0 as a release.  We can release things like "tech previews" or "beta" or
similar, but not a full release.   Since we are working on trying to renew the agreements,
Oracle is paying attention to us pretty closely right now.

>>> So, what am I getting at?   In order to release 2.8 in a few weeks, we'd either
need to back out all the JAX-RS 2.0 stuff to 1.1 level OR everyone jump in full force and
get it to pass the TCK.   I really don't see either happening.   Backing out to 1.1 would
be silly and the 2.0 TCK stuff is a ton of work.   Thus, my suggestion would be to skip a
big release this April and concentrate on bigger things for our Oct/Nov release.  Possibly
make that a CXF 3.0 release instead of 2.8 where we can clean up some stuff, break a few things
(like change the couple API's that currently force WSDL4J on JAX-RS users), etc…    We can
incorporate the WSS4J2 changes as part of this as well.    If we go this route, we could likely
start a series of "beta" releases or similar in June or so to get people looking at it and
testing with it.