cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts about a 2.8 release (or not)…
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:35:40 GMT
Dan's quote: According to the agreements Apache has with Oracle, we really
cannot "release" code that doesn't pass the TCK (which the 2.0 works would
not).

I'm confused -- Apache FOP, Maven and Tomcat can release whenever they want,
even though none of them even remotely pass the JAX-RS TCK either.  Can you
spell out precisely why CXF has that restriction?   Apache makes maybe 100
software products, which of them are allowed to be released even though they
horribly fail the JAX-RS TCK and which ones aren't?

Oracle is a competitor, it would be strange for us to sign up for something
that limits our ability to make releases (which is what a competitor would
want).  Further, there is so much more to CXF than just adherence to any one
particular TCK, it would seem to our heavy detriment if we could no longer
make releases to make that additional functionality available to the
community (allowing them to work on it, adopt it, and report bugs to us)
just because of incomplete TCK compliance in one specification or the other.

This also seems to give Oracle an advantage of sorts--Oracle splits its
services offerings into Metro and Jersey, so a failure in one would mean the
other still can get released.  With CXF, which supports 2 TCK's, if either
fail then the entire product line can't be released.

Always smelling a rat,
Glen