cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: interpretation of jaxws 10.2.2 exception handling
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:50:58 GMT

On Dec 10, 2012, at 3:29 AM, Aki Yoshida <elakito@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> There is a mail thread on users@cxf regarding the soap faultstring
> generation rule.
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cxf-users/201212.mbox/%3CCANXr88J3iiWU_d_xrBDv0x5msKH9FiWVP-DcQA9fOWC_3p%3DFvQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> Could someone familiar with section 10.2.2 of the jaxws spec comment
> on this, in particular, what is exactly meant as the exception from
> service endpoints.
>
> This section differentiates these service endpoints exceptions from
> those runtime exceptions raised by jaxws handlers. I am not sure if
> some of the cxf interceptors are to be interpreted as jaxws handlers
> (strictly speaking of the terminology, not, but logically some of them
> are playing the same role, hence my question). As I commented in the
> above mail thread, we need to apply this faultstring generation at the
> appropriate place depending on the interpretation of this section.

Honestly, this is an area where I think either interpretation would be arguable if an issue
came up.  There are basically 3 places for the exception:

1) Service Endpoint

2) JAX-WS Handler

3) CXF interceptor

For (1) and (2), I think it might be best to just write a small sample and see what the RI
does and go with that.   If we behave the same as the RI, there really wouldn't be much argument.

That would leave (3).   I don't really have a preference one way or another on  this.   I
guess whatever the the RI does for (2) would be appropriate, but I'm not really feeling strongly
one way or the other.    Ideally, none of *OUR*  interceptors would be throwing an NPE as
we'd have proper guards in place and we'd be throwing proper exceptions, but that's certainly
a pie-in-the-sky goal.

--
Daniel Kulp