cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JAX-RS 2.0 and CXF 2.7.x
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:13:12 GMT
On 20/12/12 18:48, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Hi
>
> At the moment CXF 2.7.2-SNAPSHOT depends on jsr339-api-m10 - this is
> quite close to the current JAX-RS 2.0 Snapshot API. ServiceMix spec
> jsr339-api-m10 (v 2.2.0) is also available.
>
> Next, jsr339-api-m13 and now jsr339-api-m15 are available in Central.
>
> The differences between jsr339-api-m10 and jsr339-api-m15 are quite
> minor at JAX-RS 2.0 API level - especially given that CXF does not
> implement yet the actual JAX-RS 2.0 client fluent API (though as I've
> mentioned earlier the async invoker and all 2.0 filters/interceptors are
> already supported).
>
> Users who started experimenting with AsyncResponse might see some
> differences - primarily to do with resume/cancel returning boolean
> instead of throwing exceptions, etc. Thought who might've started with
> DynamicFeature would be impacted most - but I honestly do not think
> anyone has started coding DynamicFeatures - we do not document it yet.
>
> I've been planning to get 2.7.x implementing final 2.0 API. It is
> important to note that the users migrating to 2.7.x are not expected to
> see any BC issues (and it was thanks to early 2.7.x users that we fixed
> some initial regressions/issues in 2.7.x).
>
> I've upgraded locally to jsr339-api-m15 and I'm eager to commit :-)
> The only 'side-effect' is that the users of next to be released CXF
> 2.7.2 would need to replace jsr339-api-m10 and jsr339-api-m15.
>
> Alternatively: we can keep jsr339-api-m10 in CXF 2.7.x for its lifetime,
> and get CXF 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT starting effectively with jsr339-api-m15 and
> commit to having CXF 2.8.0/1 get the final JAX-RS 2.0 done
>

> My preference is to get the 2.0 dependencies changed in 2.7.x or at
> least do the upgrade to m15 and stay there with the further updates done
> only in 2.8.x - however if there is some concern about it then the
> alternative (mentioned or others) can also work.
>
> Any comments ?

I've already got some feedback - there's some concern from our ESB team
it may affect the stability of the distribution which is based on 2.7.x
- thus looks like I will postpone and just upgrade to jsr339-api-m15 in
2.8.0-SNAPSHOT.

Ultimately, CXF 2.7.x is much more than the initial JAX-RS 2.0 support
so those JAX-RS users who have already migrated can expect the 2.0 to
1.1 API BC stability at 2.7.x, experiment with new JAX-RS 2.0 constructs
and expect very very minor upgrades required if using 2.0 API when
migrating further to 2.8.x - unless they've already started using JAX-RS
DynamicFeature (hint :-))

Thanks, Sergey