cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject When to move JAX-RS Client implementation to the new module
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:01:48 GMT
Hi,

I've opened CXF-4696 [1] to get the client implementation moved out of
jax-rs frontend to its own module: to get the main module smaller, to
let users avoid downloading extra baggage when no client code is
utilized and in preparation for implementing JAX-RS 2.0 API (though I'm
keen on keeping supporting WebClient API, with Proxy API having no
challenge from 2.0 API :-))

I thought I'd wait till CXF 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT but then started changing my
mind, the reason is that CXF 2.7.x users can expect minor dependency
changes during the lifetime of CXF 2.7.x anyway, for example,
jsr339-api-m10 dep will get replaced soon enough by jsr339-api-m13 -
this for the most parts will be limited just to it, to the dependency
update.

Moving the client code to its own module will affect 2.7.x users exactly
the same way, at some point, say, when migrating to CXF 2.7.2, they will
need to add a new dependency but only if they also work with the client API.

IMHO this is can be simpler, as opposed to having CXF 2.7.x and 2.8.x
jaxrs frontends still depending till some point of time on the not
finalized 2.0 API but having the client api located in different modules...

Cheers, Sergey

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-4696