cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Async http client experiments....
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
On Friday, August 03, 2012 11:29:41 AM Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > I just went through and added a little bit of error handling into it as
> > well.   Mostly around a connection refused exception and for read
> > timeouts. For the read timeout, I DID have to add an ioct.shutdown() in
> > the SharedInBuffer consume method when read or it kept getting called
> > repeatedly since we didn't read anything.
>
> Hmmm. This should not be necessary. It is the responsibility of the
> protocol handler to shut down things properly if connection goes down or
> something breaks at runtime. In case of an I/O timeout the protocol
> handler always shuts down the execution handler, which in its turn
> should shut down shared i/o buffers [1]. I'll look into it.

Well, it's mostly because I didn't actually set the timeouts on the
connection at all.   Haven't figured that out yet mostly due to the same
issus as with the SSL/connection timeouts/etc...  as we set them on a per-
request basis normally.   For now so things don't "hang", I just added
timeouts on the wait(...) calls we use when we need to block for additional
IO.    In that case, the wait(...) times out and I need to shutdown the
buffers and such manually so when the data DOES eventually arrive, we ignore
it.   Setting the "real" timeouts on the connections would definitely help.

> > CXF allows these to be configured on a per-client (and sometimes even
> > per- request) basis.    It looks like HC seems to have these on the
> > connection factory.
>
> It does not have to be this way. Connections can start off as plain and
> later get upgraded to TLS/SSL by the protocol handling code. One would
> have to tweak the default protocol handler a bit, though, probably by
> overriding the HttpAsyncRequestExecutor#requestReady method [2].

Ah.  OK.   I'll take a look there.   I was looking in the various connection
factories and pools.   Haven't looked there yet.   Lots of stuff going on.
:-)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp