cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Initial OAuth 2.0 support for CXF 2.6.0
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:52:54 GMT
Hi

I've started working on the initial OAuth 2.0 support to be available in
CXF 2.6.0 [1].

We already provide OAuth 1.0 support starting from CXF 2.5.0 [2] - this
has been continuously enhanced during the last few months and I think it
is capable enough for users seeking to write OAuth 1.0 applications with
CXF to be able to rely upon it.

However OAuth 2.0 [3], is really going to hit the mainstream IMHO soon
enough and we are already seeing some demand for the OAuth 2.0 support.
Thus I've started prototyping the initial code to do with supporting the
OAuth 2.0 Authorization Code Grant [3] and the simple bearer token [4];
this combination is the closest to the OAuth 1.0 3-leg flow, further
optimized by dropping the requirement to get a request token round trip.

I'd like to keep the OAuth 1.0 code in 2.6.0 - there are quite a few
OAuth 1.0 deployments out there and it would not surprise me if some
users wanted to start with OAuth 1.0 gievn that it's well understood.
Besides, despite OAuth 2.0 offering arguably a simpler alternative to
the complete OAuth 1.0 flow, IMHO it is much more complex
specification-wise. So I think we can see OAuth 1.0 being around for
some time...

The other thing I'd like to mention is the possibility of relying on the
other OAuth 2.0 libraries such as Amber[5]. At the moment Amber has not
been released yet. Personally I'll be open to reusing some of Amber's
code or who knows even contributing back to the project, but at the
moment I think it is simpler to prototype some base support within the
CXF as opposed to trying to build it from the get go on the project code
that has not been released yet. What is also important is that as far as
CXF OAuth is concerned it is all about providing utility JAX-RS OAuth
services with some additional utility support. The main complexity over
time will come from the optional support for MAC or JWT tokens or say
OpenId-Connect profiles. This is where we'd likely need some 'help' from
the 3rd-party libraries.

So for now I'm prototyping some code and hope to make the initial bits
contributed in a week or so, may be earlier...

Comments are welcome

Sergey

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-4112
[2] http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs-oauth.html