cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Preparing for DOSGi RI 1.3 release
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:46:15 GMT
Hi All,

Dan, myself and David talked about the possibility of releasing DOSGi RI
1.3 based on Apache CXF.

There are few reasons why we thought it was a good idea to pursue it.

We are seeing a number of users periodically asking DOSGI-related
questions and it's been unfortunate that some basic bugs have stopped
users from experimenting with DOSGi and proceeding with the POC
deployments and such though we believe a number of users have actually
successfully deployed DOSGI RI in their projects without major problems
or by fixing bugs locally and submitting patched back to the DOSGi RI
project.

So helping the community with fixing as many bugs as realistically
possible in the short term and releasing DOSGi RI 1.3 is important.

DOSGi RI has CXF JAX-WS and JAX-RS frontends operating on the OSGI
Service registrations and look-ups and hence we hope that it can open up
more interesting options for users to deploy web services in OSGi and
therefore stress CXF from a different direction.

I've spent few days on closing the JIRAs reported against DOSGi 1.1 and
1.2 due to DOSGI 1.3-SNAPSHOT has had its dependencies changed a lot
(thanks to a major patch from Ancoron Luciferis), with CXF 2.5.1
supporting it now. I've also resolved a lot of JIRAs containing patches
or hints on some basic modifications needed to get the issues fixed.

Two modules have been removed, a zookeeper bundle wrapper and the local
OSGI RemoteAdminService code which is now available in Central.

Here is a complete list:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DOSGI+AND+resolutiondate+%3E%3D-1w+ORDER+BY+updated+DESC

Here is the list of outstanding issues:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DOSGI+AND+resolutiondate+%3E%3D-1w+ORDER+BY+updated+DESC

IMHO we are nearly good to go with the 1.3 release. What I'd like to do
is to ask users who are interested in working or experimenting with
DOSGi to give 1.3-SNAPSHOT a test on the latest Felix or Equinox
distributions as well as check the list of outstanding issues  and may
be submit a couple of more patches.

Personally I'd get a pint to anyone who will figure out how to fix
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DOSGI-18 :-) (that works in a
single bundle case), though in case of JAX-RS the consumers can be the
browsers.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DOSGI-106
also seems important enough, though HttpService can be used just fine
with multi-bundle distros.

So please give it a test, consider fixing a couple of more issues and we
will be ready to proceed with the release early next year

Thanks, Sergey
--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders