cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: One other fissile idea, the maven plugins
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:16:41 GMT
On Monday, December 12, 2011 8:11:43 AM Benson Margulies wrote:
> I think that there might be an advantage in declaring the maven
> plugins to be an independent top-level that we release after a release
> of the core product, (and perhaps release in-between as needed).
> There's a pattern to maven plugin projects at maven.apache.org or the
> Mojo project at codehaus, and that pattern has some advantages, if
> only comparability and familiarity. We could use the invoker for
> tests, etc.
>
> What do folks think?

Well, I guess the question is what advantage do you see in it?  I'm honestly
failing to see one.

There is pretty much never a time when we would release the core and not
release the maven plugins as we'd need to the plugins updated to grab the
fixes we stuck in core.    I don't think we've ever had a release that didn't
fix something in the code generation or wsdl processing or something.

What's more, because the plugins currently use the dependency artifacts of the
project to resolve various things (for example: get the exsh -true flags to
work) and setup classloaders, the plugin MUST use the same version of CXF as
the project uses or unpredictable results might occur.    You'd likely end up
with various bus extensions defined and loaded twice or other weird things.

With how often we release, I'm not seeing a HUGE advantage to having extra
mid-release plugins releases.   If we were like some other projects that
released once a year or so, sure.  I'd definitely understand that.   But then
again, IMO, that just works around the "real" problem of only releasing once a
year.  :-)

--
Daniel Kulp