cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of 2.5.0 release.....
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:02:08 GMT

Just wanted to follow up with a bit more of an explanation and reasoning.

Over the last couple months, I've really discovered that updating the OSGi
deps in CXF is very risky.   For regular dependencies, the CXF test suite does
a very good job of pounding on things to make sure the new versions of the
dependencies actually work well and don't break things.    However, to say the
OSGi testing in CXF is "lacking" is actually an overstatement.   It's non-
existent.     We don't have a single OSGi based test in CXF.

Due to all the new OSGi features and such in 2.5, I don't want to update the
OSGi deps and do a release without being able to run several full OSGi based
suites on it.  That would include the Camel OSGi things, but would also
include all the stuff we've built up in Talend and I'd hope the Fuse guys
would do the same.     Since I'm going to be spending next week preparing
presentations for ApacheCon and the following week at ApacheCon, it doesn't
seem like this would be a 2-3 day delay.  It's more like 2-3 weeks.   Thus,
I'd greatly prefer to get the "known good" stuff out now, then follow up with
2.5.1 when we have the time to really test that.  There is enough "new stuff"
in 2.5.0 that provides risk factors.  Lets limit this one if we don't have to.

Since ServiceMix is not looking to use 2.5.0, it's less critical to have these
specific bundles in 2.5.0 for them.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp