cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] how to handle ws_security/interopfest example
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:38:35 GMT
On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:18:51 AM gliesian wrote:
> From a user expectation standpoint, example programs should work (e.g.,
> access external dependencies).

Well, from my standpoint, it really depends on  what the purpose of the
example is.   For example, we COULD have an example that showed how to create
and use a CXF client to access salesforce.com data.   There definitely could
be some value in something like that to some people.   However, it would
obviously require access to external services.    In cases like this, it's
vital to point out, up front, in the README what the requirements are and set
the expectations immediately.  Another example may be using CXF clients to
manipulate your Amazon cloud via AWS.    Again, useful as an example for some
people, but completely dependent on external services (and actually an AWS
account for the user).

IMO, this particular sample falls into this type of case.   The purpose of the
interopfest stuff is (OK, was) specifically to show interopability between CXF
and .NET.   Without shipping full .NET clients, services, and STS, the only
way to really show that is to  use external services.   We tried to be as up
front about that in the README as we could.    The main issue now is that
those services now seem to be gone for good.

> Perhaps the interopfest project should not be considered a sample (example)
> project... and therefore moved out of the binary distribution and into the
> src distribution only, maybe in it's own folder (i.e, not under the samples
> folder)?
>
> If in the event, that the external dependencies are restored and/or included
> in the distribution and it makes sense to have the interopfest projects
> within the samples, they could be moved back.

Everything is in SVN.   We can always just restore it or even copy it out of
one of the tags if the services come back.     That IS why we use version
control.   :-)

At this point, I just don't see the interop plugfest endpoints coming back
anytime soon.   I would just remove them from the builds for now.

Dan