cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC - (CXF-3388) Expose CXF JMX MBeans as the JAX-RS resources
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:26:58 GMT
Hi Shenglin

thanks you for this introduction, it is very impressive.

What we are trying to do in CXF is to have a UI suite dedicated to
presenting various management-related information, reflecting the way a
given CXF server operates. Exposing active CXF MBeans as JAX-RS resources is
another step in this direction.

I reckon this project can be split in three parts:

- Understanding how CXF interacts with the JMX MBeanServer and checking
which CXF resources are exposed as JMX MBeans and how they can be monitored
with the help of say JConsole.

- Exposing active CXF MBeans as JAX-RS resources (rt/management-web module)
- this is the main task of this project. A top-level root resource will
likely represent an MBeanServer instance CXF MBeans have been registered
with, and this resource will allow for working with individual MBeans,
exposed as JAX-RS subresources. Note that at this stage it would be
sufficient to have say an XML and JSON representations supported only - the
focus here is to make the interaction right, and we can deal with the
presentation aspects at the next stage.

- Finally, have an HTML view of the CXF MBeanServer created; and optionally,
only of the time allows, have it embedded as another UI tab in what is
currently called a LogBrowser UI (also in rt/management-web).

Overall, I think it can become an interesting project which will continue
its life even after GSOC 2011 ends.

If you are interested then I can become your mentor.

You may want to start exploring how CXF MBeans are exposed via JMX, please
check:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jmx-management.html

That can be a good starting point. Next you may want to check how CXF
interacts with the JMX internally as it is likely the top-level JAX-RS
resource will have to interact with MBeanServer as well, this is where the
code is located:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt/management/

Next we will introduce a top-level JAX-RS resource which will connect to
MBeanServer in order to get the list of CXF MBeans and proceed from there

thanks, Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Application Integration Division of Talend <http://www.talend.com>