cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Proposal: drop ant build.xml files for samples requiring extra stuff.....
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:20:23 GMT

Right now, we have a samples-lib directory that contains some extra libs that
CXF doesn't require for anything, but various samples do.   I'd like to go
ahead and remove that directory and the build.xml for samples that require it.
We have Maven poms for all the samples so the sample would still be buildable
and runnable with Maven, but not with Ant.

I see some value in keeping SOME of the samples working with Ant as not
everyone uses Maven.   However, shipping a bunch of libs just for a couple of
samples seems a bit silly.

That said, a lot of projects have gone Maven only and don't provide any ant
scripts at all.   We could also do that.      So, there are two options:

1) Remove ant build support entirely

2) Remove ant build support for some of the samples, specifically anything
requiring extra libraries or extra ant configs and such.

What are peoples thoughts?    I'm leaning more toward #2, but I could
definitely be persuaded to go #1.   If we do go #1, I'd like to refactor the
samples into the standard maven structure (src/main/[java|resources]), but
that could be done over time as well.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org