cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.4 later this month.....
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 04:06:11 GMT
On Tuesday 01 March 2011 1:07:13 PM Benson Margulies wrote:
> How much further could we take the reduction of Spring/XML usage in
> initialization?

How far do you want to go?   :-)

Right now on trunk, if you don't specify a Spring config, it defaults to the
ExtensionBus.   However, right now, the extensions are supplied via the META-
INF/cxf/bus-extensions.xml files.   They are much smaller and simpler XML
files that the equivalent Spring files, but still XML.   We could easily
replace them with a simple text file list of bean classes.   I think that if
we do that, the "default" case would completely startup with 0 XML parsing.

Seriously, a simple file with a list of beans like:
classname:interface:boolean
(the interface is the interface to register it on the bus as and the boolean
is true/false for lazy init)  I think would pretty much cover it.  The
extensions currently have namespaces configured in, but with 2.3, I had
started the process of moving those out of Spring and into the beans
themselves.   If I finished that process, they wouldn't be needed.

Now, we still have the issue of what to do about the cases where you DO have
spring config.   Right now, if you specify any spring config, it uses the full
Spring bus with all the spring stuff.   We COULD make the META-INF/cxf/cxf.xml
really have a single bean (an subclass of the ExtensionBus)  and all the other
META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-BLAH.xml" files just be empty (for backwords
compat) or removed.   The upside is no XML (or little XML) at startup.
Downside is no real way to NOT include functionality.   But with almost
everything now being lazy-init, I'm not sure if that really matters as much
anymore.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp