cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Burke <bbu...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How to consume JMS services
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:55:20 GMT

On 2/28/11 6:10 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I'm starting a new thread...
>
> Comments inline.
>

>> I think its fair to suggest to somebody asking about JMS integration
>> solutions other than CXF.  We encourage such posts on resteasy mail list.

Especially since hornetq rest can be consumed by CXF.

> Sure - unless we reckon we can provide something meaningful at the CXF level ?

FYI, I've tried very very hard to minimalize, lessen, remove the
requirement or need for a specific client framework or stack other than
HTTP to consume hornetq's REST interface.  IMO, anybody writing a REST
interface should make similar efforts.  Because, otherwise, what's the
point?

I also think we have to be very very careful from a REST framework
perspective to avoid marrying/coupling our frameworks to a developer's
application.  Once you've created the requirement for a framework to be
installed both on the client and server, you've done something wrong.

All this is why I piped in when somebody asked about JMS integration.
Because I believe really strongly about the above.  SOAP+JMS is really a
consideration only for cross-language/platform interoperability.  REST,
IMO, is a superior approach because of the reasons listed above.  Since
CXF is now embracing REST through its JAX-RS implementation,
alternatives to SOAP-based approaches should be suggested and
encouraged, at least by the REST guys at CXF ;)

> P.S. Bill - you are welcome to contribute and challenge us on the dev
> list. Sorry if the previous thread caused you some grief :-). I
> believe no-one meant anything more than just a protective remark. It
> is obvious now it turned out to be a highly controversial one but hope
> such a seasoned professional as you are can accept the attempted
> clarifications and apologies which followed :-)

My "grief" usually doesn't last more than 2 seconds and I've received
much much worse grief before.  If I was more professional, and I'm not,
I would have just ignored Glen's comments.  Instead, I just couldn't
resist the urge to tweak him, for that I apologize.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat