cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: When do we drop Java 5 support?
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:53:28 GMT
Well, older versions of CXF--2.3.x and earlier--of course would
perpetually support JRE 5.0.  It's just a question of moving forward, it
looks like right now 2.4 will still support 5.0 and maybe we'll switch
to 6.0 minimum in CXF 2.5.  I didn't know about royalty concerns  (do
you have a link for that--can't immediately find anything off Google),
but I'm sure there would also be some fears of running on an
unmaintained JRE.  Although some wish/need to remain on JRE 5.0 (and
hence CXF 2.3), there's also a counterargument, that for information
security reasons, newer releases of CXF shouldn't allow itself to be run
on unmaintained JRE's, similar to the way responsible builders will not
put up homes on unsafe land/foundations even if business is lost as a
result.

Glen

On 2/22/2011 9:27 PM, Fred Dushin wrote:
> Speaking from the field, you do not want to drop 1.5.  There are organization out there
that are not moving to 1.6 (or are moving very slowly) out of fear of Oracle's collecting
royalties under the 1.6 redistribution terms.

> CXF is meant to be an embedded library.  If you drop support for 1.5, you will find users
who will not upgrade.  At a minimum, CXF should support 1.5 on one of its branches.