cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When do we drop Java 5 support?
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:17:29 GMT
On Tuesday 22 February 2011 3:45:44 AM Christian Schneider wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> now that camel dropped Java 5 I am asking myself when will we also drop
> support for Java 5 in CXF? As CXF 2.4.0 allows some bigger changes than
> a minor version we could do that in my opinion.

Well, I guess the question is:  what is the cost of supporting Java 5 compared
to the cost of dropping it?   For Camel, the cost was pretty high as they had
some dependencies for various components that required Java6.   Thus, you
really couldn't do complete Camel builds with Java5 anyway.

CXF is a bit different.   RIGHT NOW, we don't have anything anyplace that
requires Java 6.   In generaly, the only "cost" we have is the occasional
@Override annotation that Eclipse likes to stick on everything causing a
Jenkins build break and some slight additional complexity in the poms.   Thus,
the cost of supporting Java5 for us is pretty low, right now.

Dropping support for Java5 would cause issues with SOME people, especially
those trying to use CXF in some of the older App servers.    Also, to be
honest, the new JAX-WS and JAXB 2.2 stuff in CXF works a TON better with Java5
than with Java6 due to the endorsed crap.    Dropping support for Java5 would
mean much of the JAXWS 2.2/JAXB 2.2 would not be tested on a day to day basis
as that stuff is currently only tested when run on Java5.    Thus, there is a
big cost of dropping it just from a testing and support standpoint.   Getting
that stuff to run on Java6 properly would likely require a lot more
configuration in the poms, updates to our plugins, likely updates to some of
the Maven plugins, etc....   Basically, it's not easy.

Thus, in my opinon, I don't think *right now* is the right time to drop
support for Java 5.   Maybe for 2.5, but likely not for 2.4.   That said, I
could potentially be convinced either way.   :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org