cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Build failures in Corba
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:14:17 GMT
On 01/24/2011 04:08 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Sunday 23 January 2011 2:58:25 am Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
>
>> Ok, I did the obvious - added "linux" as an alias for localhost - and
>> got past the problem. But it's annoying to have to do that to work with
>> broken code!
>>
> I'm not sure there is anything we can do about this at all.   This is down in
> the Sun ORB.   It calls:
>
>             try {
> 		localHostString = InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress();
>             } catch (Exception ex) {
> 		throw wrapper.getLocalHostFailed( ex ) ;
>             }
>
> Thus, if the call to InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress() failes, then
> the ORB will fail to initialize.  There doesn't seem to be any way around it.
> Th ORB.init code path always calls the set_properties which always calls the
> getLocalHostName() method.   Really, I cannot see anything that we could about
> it.   :-(

Yes, that's the issue - OpenSuse sets a name for the system, but doesn't
automatically alias it, and without the alias getHostAddress() throws an
exception (though if it can't access the host name, it instead returns
the loopback address).

Strange, I thought I'd done a full build previously and didn't encounter
this as a problem. Oh well, I'm good now and this is in the archive if
anyone else runs into the same problem.

Thanks,

  - Dennis