cxf-dev mailing list archives

From David Valeri <dval...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M2Eclipse as an alternative to the maven-eclipse-plugin
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:44:51 GMT
I've been using M2Eclipse in a workspace created by the Maven Eclipse
plug-in for some time now.  This workspace had the PMD/checkstyle stuff
inserted into it by the Maven plug-in and I then deleted all of the projects
and imported just what I was working on using M2Eclipse.  I saw the new
instructions so I thought I'd try that approach now since I have been away
from CXF for a month or two and my environment is pretty stale.  Here is
what I am hung up on.

I installed PMD and Checkstyle plug-ins as required by Benson's plug-ins.  I
then installed Benson's plug-ins.  I then tried to import just one Maven
module from the CXF trunk.  I'm hitting a wall with Benson's PMD plug-in
integration.  One of the rulesets used by CXF requires a custom rule class,
but the PMD plug-in doesn't seem to support pulling rule classes from
anywhere but the plug-in classpath [1,2].  Is there any hope other than
re-packaging cxf-buildtools as a bundle fragment and dropping that into
Eclipse?  I tried looking at the Maven Eclipse plug-in configuration to see
how it configured PMD, but it looks like it doesn't.  The Ant script does
not appear to touch the PMD resources in cxf-buildtools and simply
configures the Eclipse Checkstyle plug-in.

The only thing that I found to let the projects import using the
experimental instructions is to not install the PMD configuration plug-in in
Eclipse.

On a side note, when using the hybrid approach I mentioned first, one can
enable the nochecks profile in M2Eclipse.  Enabling this profile really
speeds up Eclipse as the Maven builder triggered on every save does not
perform the Checkstyle and PMD checks.  Since the IDE itself was doing the
Checkstyle and PMD checks in real-time, disabling them in the Maven builder
didn't really hurt anything and the command line Maven build would still run
them; however, using this profile unfortunately causes Benson's Eclipse
plug-ins to remove the CXF Checkstyle/PMD configuration from the project.

1 - http://pmd-eclipse.sourceforge.net/#Customization
2 - http://eclipsezone.com/articles/pmd/