cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Our old friend arg0
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2010 14:13:21 GMT
On Wednesday 06 October 2010 7:52:52 am Benson Margulies wrote:
> I found myself explaining the 'interfaces don't carry param names'
> business to a coworker the other day. Thinking about it, I realized
> that there's still a pretty good trap hiding in all this, and I'm
> wondering if we should do something about it.
>
> Here's my theoretical trap. Unsuspecting Java-first implementor has
> options set to compile Java with debug info, so there are parameter
> names in their interfaces.
>
> Some day, some evil build engineer comes along and removes the symbols
> from the production build. Oops, new WSDL.
>
> It seems to me that it would be better if the factories accepted a
> boolean that instructed them to ignore the param names in interfaces,
> so as to produce repeatable results regardless of the compile options.
>
> Presumably, this isn't in the JAX-WS spec, but we could do it for Simple.

The simple frontend really needs a ConfigurableServiceConfiguration object or
similar that provides a bunch of configuration points.   The one-way issue is
another one.   It could have a "setOneWays(List<String>) or similar for the
list of one-way methods, the flag you mention above, etc....   Maybe a
"setMethodParamNames(Map<String, List<String>)" type things to allow people to
configure in custome parameter names.

That said, I'm increasingly been wondering why people still use the simple
frontend.  :-)   I think the JAX-WS frontend handles everything the simple
frontend handles.   (aegis vs jaxb is a different issue)    But the JAX-WS
frontend is WAY more controllable from within the code via annotations.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org