cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Michalec <andrzej.micha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to introduce configuration for low-level class?
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:15:22 GMT

Bill Burke-2 wrote:

> It think it was concluded that this spec was
> more a URI generator template engine rather than a URI matching engine.
> Meaning, it is more suitable for embedding within a link than using it
> within a JAX-RS @Path annotation.

Bill, thank you for sharing your concerns from expert group perspective. I
agree with first sentence, it was also my first impression: generation is
trivial with while matching is not e.g. it introduces ambiguity with
"undefined" values. I am not sure where it could be useful in JAX-RS if not
in @Path? If we can build matching engine following this spec, I can imagine
pushing more fine-grained patterns into @Path. For example today we use
@QueryParam to extract this component of URI and then check if it is null or
not to make further decisions; here one annotated method handles (is matched
with) different permutations of URIs. If we could pushed decision up to
@Path we would maintain patterns in one place.

I have to admit that Sergey and me just started discussing this draft. I am
just playing with this spec implementation and I am aware that it may not
suite or not be accepted. If you see some obvious problems with construction
of matching engine following this spec, please share your concern with me.

cheers,
andy.