cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Moreń <lukasz.mo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OAuth client and server demos
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:16:24 GMT
Hi,

I've made changes in demo according to your comments.
I will do 'gsoc' tag on my branch to distinguish current gsoc work from
future changes, as today is 'firm pencil down' date.

I would like to do additional changes in oauth module.
Access token should be connected with some kind of 'scope' that specifies
a range of  resources it allows to access or operations to invoke.

For example in RestEasy implementation access token is associated with set
of principal roles.
If there is valid access token in the request, oauth filter set user roles
associated with token to ServletRequest and let pass it further.

I'm wondering how it can be done in cxf. I would appreciate some help on
that.

Cheers,
Lukasz

2010/8/14 Łukasz Moreń <lukasz.moren@gmail.com>

> [...]
>>

> I will try do to as much as possible till 16-th. There is still plenty to
> do as I see from your commnets and
> myself so missing things I will add later.
>

>> The client registration form requires a user to register a callback URI.
>> But
>> I understand that a callback URI is only provided by a client, when
>> requesting a temp/request token ? That said, requiring what I'd call a
>> 'connect' or "reply-to" URI registered during the (secure) client
>> registration process may help with enforcing that the actual callback URI
>> provided by the client *matches* the one provided at the registration,
>> using
>> a startsWith function. I've seen it in the Facebook docs and I also did
>> something similar in my own project - is this the idea ?
>>
> If yes - then please check it's a startsWith check that is used - but also
>
> consider making providing a callback URI optional at the client
>> registration
>
> time
>

> Yes, i used it for that reason. It can be jus passed with request token
> request. All current OAuth 1.0 servers I've seen need to preregister
> callback URI,
> and as you said they check if both uri matches.
> There is also possibility to pass 'oob' (out of band) value as callback URI
> which means has been established via other means,
> so then server use preregistered value. However I think this option is used
> in case of native apps.
>  .
>
>> The other thing is that a client key is also generated. This is probably
>> correct but I'm wondering would it make sense to let the consumer register
>> its own key but the authorization server to only generate the shared
>> secret.
>> Consumer might also want to optionally provide its description such as
>> "OAuth 1.0 client" as in the demo, etc.  This might make it a bit simpler
>> for a client (i.e, it will only have to manage a shared secret).
>>

> Yes I think it makes sense. So far consumer key is just hash from
> application name and user who registers consumer.
>

>> In a client webapp a PLAINTEXT option is offered - is it OAuth 2.0 like
>> thing where HTTPS is assumed ? I'd just consider removing this option and
>> have only hmac-sha1 left.
>>

> I think it's something similar, however there is no signatures in OAuth 2.0
> and  access_token is assumed to be short lived,
> ideally one per request, issuing new tokens is done by refresh_token
> parameter.
>

>> This is probably it so far. I'm not very excited about JSPs being used in
>> the demo :-) but I guess it is not too bad and shows something that many
>> people would consider doing in practice.
>>

> I was not sure about using JSP's neither:), but I wanted to show basically
> how oauth could be added to existing apps
>  and hadn't other idea how to replace them.
>

>> Overall it is a really good effort toward helping CXF users to

you
>> > can

>> rs/oauth

>> client

> [...]