cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Tomasz Oponowicz <tomasz.oponow...@gmail.com>
Subject [CXF-2736] LogBrowser - future plans
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:11:15 GMT
Hi,

GSOC has just ended. During this time LogBrowser was created. At the
moment the project has all basic features like authentication,
settings manager and browse layout which includes navigation links
(first, previous, refresh, next and last page). I would really like to
continue working with Apache CXF community. Together with Sergey, we
think about how to extend the project to make it even more useful.

We consider two crucial features right now:

1. search capabilities;
2. removing authentication when connection is not secure (it is not HTTPS);

Below our discussion about that (we have some spam filter difficulties
and this is why it looks so weird).

=According to search capabilities=

[Sergey]

Offer some basic search options first, I think they should be global
for a start, i.e, they'd apply to all the endpoints. Ex : a user is
offered a list of level options (level: INFO or DEBUG), just this
would do, so the user would select : I'd like to see INFOS only, and
then a FIQL expression is sent to AtomPullServer and it would just
return the list of matching records.

[Tomasz]

I agree that search option is crucial feature right now. I think there
should be available search criteria as follows:

 1) specified phrase;
 2) datetime range: begin and end datetime;
 3) log entry level: INFO, etc;

...all parameters will be sent to AtomPullServer as FIQL expression
(as you mentioned).

Although I think it's better to have search only within current
selected endpoint. We give an user an ability to divide all logs into
plenty of endpoints for clean browsing but now we will search through
all endpoint at once. I think it breaks basic assumption. However
searching within selected endpoint isn't a problem, because
AtomPullServer has powerful configuration capabilities and user can
easily combine many loggers into one instance through "setLoggers"
method.

What do you think about that? I think searching within current
selected endpoint is good enough.

[Sergey]

Sounds ok, not sure about phrases but I guess it can be useful, I
thought users would really would like to see all the error messages or
indeed all the messages logged during some specific limited period of
time, but phrases may probably help those who know what sort of log
messages can be expected to narrow down the set to virtually a single
message or just few of them...

[Sergey]

May be you're right that it's better to have individual endpoint
having specific search conditions. But I'd really like to enter the
common search conditions, say, say show me the message with INFO level
only only, and then start clicking between multiple endpoints and see
the INFO logs only. However, I'd likely want to customize the way the
search conditions get applied to a given endpoint

So how about being able to specify the search condition that applies
to all the endpoints first and once it all works ok, add the
capability to override it on per-endpoint basis ? Or the other way
around. I'd not be concerned about making both options work before the
merge to the trunk, just

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz