cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMS transport strongly depends on Spring
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:37:53 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Glen Mazza <glen.mazza@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Sergey Beryozkin-5 wrote:
>> >
>> > This causes problems when doing non-Spring CXF deployments.
>> > Generally, we should really try to keep the Spring related code in
>> .spring
>> > subpackages as it will make it simpler for CXF be integrated with other
>> > similar frameworks or deployed in containers providing the optional
>> Spring
>> > support only.
>> >

>> I wonder if we could just rename Spring to Banana and use Banana's JARs
>> instead.  Such a wrapping would allow us to use Spring to our heart's
>> content while at the same time truthfully saying we're 100% Spring-free.
>> (Or would we then need to worry about supporting non-Banana deployments?
>>  :)
>>

> Don't really get it... Or is it the case of someone missing the point that
> some users of CXF just do not want to use Spring ?

Let me put it the other way. I haven't started this thread to complain about
Spring, or start any debate about the use of Spring. What I'd like to convey
is that IMHO it is in the interests of CXF to ensure that those integrators
who prefer to provide non-Spring deployments can do it as easily as
possible. For example, you all know there's some 'tension' out there between
say Java EE & Spring ways of configuring and deploying web applications and
thus it should not be a surprise that some CXF users, individual & large
alike, may want to avoid depending on Spring or at least having an option
not to use Spring for simple deployments.

CXF JMS transport is powerful and it is good. But the fact simple WSDL-first
deployments depending on JMS strictly require Spring is a bit unexpected...

Glen - my apologies for over-reacting (as usual :-))

Sergey