cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CXF-DOSGi passing the OSGi Remote Services and Remote Service Admin CT
Date Thu, 13 May 2010 11:42:03 GMT
Hi

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM, David Bosschaert <
david.bosschaert@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Earlier this week the OSGi Alliance has approved the OSGi 4.2
> Enterprise Conformance Tests and Reference Implementations. The
> CXF-DOSGi project [1] is the Reference Implementation for the
> following OSGi 4.2 specs [2]:
>
> * Chapter 13 - Remote Services
> This spec describes Distributed OSGi from a user's point of view. It
> standardizes the properties that can be put on an OSGi service to make
> it available remotely and how a consumer can find out whether it's
> dealing with a local service or a remote one.
>
> * Chapter 122 - Remote Services Admin
> This spec standardizes the interfaces between internal components
> Remote Services implementations typically have. A Distribution
> Provider, Topology Manager and Discovery System. This makes it
> possible to mix&match these components from various implementations.
> For more information see slides 6-8 at [3].
>
> Many kudos to Marc Schaaf as he did a lot of the recent RI work.
> Also many kudos to Tim Diekmann from TIBCO who wrote the actual CT
> tests despite his busy schedule.
>
> congrats to you all

> So now that we have a passing RI I think it would make sense to start
> planning a CXF-DOSGi release. I'm wondering what we should do before
> that...
> 1. There are some SEVERE 'warnings' coming up, I believe from the
> Topology Manager. We should probably take a look at those.
> 2. I once added some Discovery system tests, which I ended up not
> enabling because of memory issues. I might want to try and get them
> working on all platforms.
> 3. Anything else?

- consolidation of DOSGI RI specific properties. Example, you added a useful
property called "org.apache.cxf.ws.port" so JAXRS endpoints need to 'catch
up' with "org.apache.cxf.rs.port".
Perhaps we can continue adding such 'parallel' properties, but I'm
wondering, can "org.apache.cxf.ws.port"
be replaced with "org.apache.cxf.endpoint.port" or
"org.apache.cxf.http.port" ? Later on, in post 1.2, we can deprecates some
of other 'duplicate' properties.

- HTTPS support ? May be a discussion on the dev list can be initiated, a
solution agreed upon and then someone from the community can step forward
and work on it ? As a side note, a CXF user has approached me regarding
fixing a JAXRS Jettison issue in DOSGI 1.1 (default Jettison provider does
not work in DOSGi 1.1, needs to be fixed for 1.2 too) so I think there are
experienced and motivated users who can help...

cheers, Sergey