cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Provide an authentication support through OAuth for Apache CXF
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:39:46 GMT
Hi Łukasz

Thanks for your proposal.
In fact, a number of users have already asked about OAuth, so I think it
will be a good enhancement. Please note SOAP users have asked as well, so as
far as the communication between the Consumer and server-side OAuth filters
is concerned, it may be worth supporting the SOAP communications too. I
don't have the experience in this area but I believe both RESTful and SOAP
based interactions are supported. We can add a SOAP-based code at a later
stage but the idea is that ultimately all CXF users get the benefit.

One thing which I'd like you to consider, as far as this proposal is
concerned, is how/if an automatic consumer authorization can be achieved on
the CXF client side. Awhile back, we gave some serious consideration to the
idea of the client-side CAS [1] support in CXF with my friend and former
colleague who is a security expert but no production requirement came in.
Specifically, [2] says that an application client issues a request to the
CAS Server providing an application request URI as a query parameter but
presumably this should happen invisibly to the client, the client invokes
directly on the application URI but since it has not been authenticated yet
it is *redirected* to the CAS server. The CAS server will eventually try to
authenticate the user.

CXF HTTPConduit[3] can do the auto redirection but we thought we could have
HTTPConduit injected with say RedirectHandler which can customize the way
the current redirection is dealt with. So say, a CAS redirector could do the
redirect but when presented with the login page it could just reply with
some configured name/password, etc, or may be provide them immediately to
the CAS server, without waiting for the login request, so we thought it
could provide for the automatic handling of the user login requests.

CAS and say OpenId are slightly different from OpenAuth but I'm wondering,
can a protected resource owner somehow manage to authorize a consumer using
the HTTPConduit idea ? Ex, OpenAuthAuthorizer can have be configured with a
list of trusted 3rd party providers and the permissions they may have. No
problems if not, I'm not sure how the resources server asks the owner to
authorize, so feel free to ignore this part.

I will create a CXF JIRA and then please start working on the concrete
proposal. I'll be happy to be a mentor and will look forward to learning few
things about OpenAuth.

cheers, Sergey

[1] http://www.jasig.org/cas
[2] http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CASUM/Technical+Overview