cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Cyrille Le Clerc <clecl...@xebia.fr>
Subject [CXF-2676] call for patch review
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:58:31 GMT
   Dear all,

   I proposed a patch for [CXF-2676] "JMX
InstanceAlreadyExistsException under high load initialization". I made
a design choice that some may find a bit to pessimistic. However, the
impact of this pessimistic choice is limited to the initialization
phase and would not impact performances after.

Can you tell me if you see any problem with this choice. I also
proposed other design choices but I find them complex and with a
limited gain.

Here is the description of the patch and the alternative scenarios :

Patch proposal : use an instance scope counterCreationLock
(java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock).
Pros : simple code
Cons : slightly pessimistic. Simultaneous initialization of many
clients and/or endpoints is not very efficient,

Other solutions :

* use a synchronized block on ObjectName.toString().intern() :
 ** understanding intern() is tricky :-(

* register counters at startup
 ** requires a lot of changes in the code :-(
 ** does not deal with hot activation of the ResponsetimeFeature :-(

Cyrille