cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Bimschas <bimsc...@itm.uni-luebeck.de>
Subject Re: JAXB and JAX-RS under CXF
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:24:22 GMT
Sergey,

I checked, please see my further questions below...

Am 22.01.2010 um 16:10 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:

> Hi Daniel
>
> please see comments with S.B
>
> thanks, Sergey
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Bimschas" <bimschas@itm.uni-luebeck.de>

CXF. Now, for some of my JAXB annotated classes I get the error message:

because it is missing an @XmlRootElement annotation

> S.B : Do those objects actually have @XmlRootElement ?

Yes, they do.

> I use Pax Exam to set up a test case that marshalls the object to a byte[] and unmarshalls
it afterwards from it.

> Do you know that error?
>
> S.B : yes, usually it is to do with @XmlRootElement being not present or, in OSGI case,
being 'lost' at runtime, due to a missing import package value...You can condigure DOSGI RI
to not require @XmlRootElement for JAXRS services...

I checked the packaged bundle. It definitely has the JAXB annotation packages imported (which
is no wonder as I'm using maven-bundle-plugin with bnd to generate the Manifest).

How can I configure it for use without annotations?

> Why is CXF behaving different than "plain" JAXB?
>
> S.B : what exactly is different ?

Just that plain works, and OSGi-based fails because of the errors mentioned above. But I guess
that's "misconfiguration".

> Is it using a different JAXB implementation at all? And if yes, is it possible to switch
to the implementation included in the JVM?

> Kind regards,
> Daniel
>
> Am 21.01.2010 um 13:01 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see a comment with S.B
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Bimschas" <bimschas@itm.uni-luebeck.de>

was either misleading or I misread. The documentation says

>> "This property has a limited value for JAXRS services as JAXB is supported by default,
the only supported value is 'aegis' and it is a shortcut for registering an Aegis provider
[...]"

>> which is a little hard to understand. One the one hand it says JAXB is supported,
but on the other hand 'aegis' is the only value you're allowed to use. So this confused me.

>>> S.B : it kind of does not makse sense, now that I read it again. (CXF) JAXRS
do not use (CXF)databindings as often as they use 'providers', technically both terms are
probably identical, but I wanted to not require users to set this property given that they
will probably want to register say a DataBindingProvider provider delegating to CXF Aegis
as OSGI service, with some custom configuration, etc...That said, for simple cases, letting
users just to do "org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=atom" would also make sense...

>> JAXB will be supported with or without "org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=jaxb" but I'll
look into simplifying the documentation and enhancing a bit the way this org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding
property is handled...

>> thanks, Sergey
>>

>> Thanks for the clarification and the impressively fast response!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>
>> Am 20.01.2010 um 18:20 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> It is possible. It has to work, you do not even has to enable it for JAXRS; for
DOSGI-RI/JAX-RS it is a default databinding given that the JAXRS spec requires the JAXB support
OTB so I thought asking users to explictly add org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=jaxb just to
enable JAXB would be too much...
>>> Are you seeing any issues ? I'm thinking may be I've just done another piece
of the documentation which is confusing ? One thing I'm saying there is that if you do not
want to have your bundle modified for JAXB be supported at runtime as well as to explicitly
annotate beans with @XmlRootElement and friends (that is, to import JAXB packages) then if
it is JAX-RS only you can register a custom (CXF JAXRS) JAXBElementProvider and tell it to
use JAXBElement internally and that is it...

>>> cheers, Sergey
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Bimschas" <bimschas@itm.uni-luebeck.de>

JAX-RS but with JAX-WS. Is that correct? And what is the reason for it?