cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Radical structure reorg thoughts for 2.3....
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:21:47 GMT
Hi Dan,

some comments:

1) If you want to give these modules owwn version I think you should
move them out of the main cxf tree as it would be confusing if part of
the tree behaves differently.
I would versioning like it is though. I think it does not hurt to build
new versions with each release. It also is easier for people searching
support to say "I use cxf 2.2.5" instead of  "I use cxf 2.2.5, xjc
2.1.1, ..."

2) same as above

3) I am very positive of having a cxf-core that does not need other cxf
modules.
Ideally the core should need no other dependencies at all. spring-core
has no dependencies and camel-core has three dependencies. Only cxf-core
has 23 dependencies. No one can tell me that the core of cxf must be so
large. I also know that it is not easy to achieve this from the point
where we are now.

Apart from the effort needed to do backports for older version the
restructuring will probably also create incompatibilities. Still I think
it will be worth it.

Greetings

Christian

--