cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Radical structure reorg thoughts for 2.3....
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:53:50 GMT
On Mon January 25 2010 4:22:45 pm Andreas Veithen wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> "cxf-kernel" sounds very Axis2-ish ;-)

OK.   cxf-core it is.   :-)

> More seriously, one of the big design issues in Axis2 is that there is
> no separation between API and core/kernel. We just have that
> axis2-kernel module containing a huge amount of classes of different
> kinds (real APIs/SPIs, internal implementation classes and utility
> classes). That makes it very hard to distinguish the public API (which
> should be as stable as possible) from those classes that may change
> more frequently. If there is ever an Axis3 (or Axis 3.0 ;-), I would
> suggest to do that split.

That was the original "goal" of the api module, but it hasn't worked out very
well.   Part of it is due to the "common-utilities" module which is really
"other api's that really should have just been part of API".   Another part is
the tooling API's are completely separate as well (tools-common) so there are
at least 3 "api"  modules.

The other problem we hit, (it's our own fault, only us to blame) is that we
properly put the interfaces and such in api, but when we wrote the impls, we
put them in the same package name, but in rt-core or the other modules.  This
REALLY prevents us from doing any real OSGi stuff other than the big bundle.

The proposal wouldn't really fix that though.  If api and rt/core are merged,
SOME will be fixed, but not all of it.

Another issues is that API is really "too large" now, particularly now that we
have the JAX-RS stuff.   There is a bunch of "ws specific" things in API that
really aren't needed for JAX-RS and bring in deps that really are
"questionable".     Example, why would JAX-RS need wsdl4j?   That's another
concern we have to at least consider and see if it's something that can be
fixed or not.   (possibly not, in which case we live with it and move on)

> I'm not very familiar with the CXF internals, so I don't know if the
> api/rt-core separation in CXF reflects that distinction between public
> API and internal classes, but if it does, I would suggest not to make
> the same mistake as Axis2.

:-)

Dan

--