cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Bimschas <bimsc...@itm.uni-luebeck.de>
Subject Re: JAXB and JAX-RS under CXF
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:13:14 GMT
Damnit. I just changed the Pax-Runner configuration to only use Equinox and now the tests pass,
everything seems fine. Are you interested in a tiny Maven-based project demonstrating the
issue?

Am 22.01.2010 um 16:58 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:

> Hi,
>
> please see more comments inline
>
> <snip/>
>
>> just one more question. I converted a plain (non-OSGi) JAX-RS project to DOSGi-based
CXF. Now, for some of my JAXB annotated classes I get the error message:

because it is missing an @XmlRootElement annotation

>> S.B : Do those objects actually have @XmlRootElement ?
>
> Yes, they do.
>

>> I use Pax Exam to set up a test case that marshalls the object to a byte[] and unmarshalls
it afterwards from it.

>> Do you know that error?
>>
>> S.B : yes, usually it is to do with @XmlRootElement being not present or, in OSGI
case, being 'lost' at runtime, due to a missing import package value...You can condigure DOSGI
RI to not require @XmlRootElement for JAXRS services...

> I checked the packaged bundle. It definitely has the JAXB annotation packages imported
(which is no wonder as I'm using maven-bundle-plugin with bnd to generate the Manifest).

>> S.B : for some reasons there're still invisible to the JAXB runtime. One of users
reported a similar issue the other day, JAXB classes have been moved to a bundle separate
from the application one. I don't recall what the fix was,  it is just a visibility issue
which can be solved at the OSGI level. Please attach a sample bundle if it won't work...

> How can I configure it for use without annotations?
>
>> S.B : You'll need to register a custom JAXBElementProvider as a MessageBodyReader
and MessageBodyWriter OSGI service and set a property on it (marshalAsJaxbElement). One will
be able to do the same from Spring DM context once we fix the issue of discovering well-known
spring beans...

>> Why is CXF behaving different than "plain" JAXB?
>>
>> S.B : what exactly is different ?
>
> Just that plain works, and OSGi-based fails because of the errors mentioned above. But
I guess that's "misconfiguration".

>> S.B : yes, it's an OSGI configuration  issue. DOSGI can't help on its own...At the
last resort try DynamicImport...

> cheers, Sergey
>

>> Is it using a different JAXB implementation at all? And if yes, is it possible to
switch to the implementation included in the JVM?

>> Kind regards,
>> Daniel
>>
>> Am 21.01.2010 um 13:01 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Please see a comment with S.B
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Bimschas" <bimschas@itm.uni-luebeck.de>

was either misleading or I misread. The documentation says

>>> "This property has a limited value for JAXRS services as JAXB is supported by
default, the only supported value is 'aegis' and it is a shortcut for registering an Aegis
provider [...]"

>>> which is a little hard to understand. One the one hand it says JAXB is supported,
but on the other hand 'aegis' is the only value you're allowed to use. So this confused me.

do not use (CXF)databindings as often as they use 'providers', technically both terms are
probably identical, but I wanted to not require users to set this property given that they
will probably want to register say a DataBindingProvider provider delegating to CXF Aegis
as OSGI service, with some custom configuration, etc...That said, for simple cases, letting
users just to do "org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=atom" would also make sense...

>>> JAXB will be supported with or without "org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=jaxb" but
I'll look into simplifying the documentation and enhancing a bit the way this org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding
property is handled...

>>> thanks, Sergey
>>>

>>> Thanks for the clarification and the impressively fast response!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Daniel

for DOSGI-RI/JAX-RS it is a default databinding given that the JAXRS spec requires the JAXB
support OTB so I thought asking users to explictly add org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=jaxb
just to enable JAXB would be too much...
of the documentation which is confusing ? One thing I'm saying there is that if you do not
want to have your bundle modified for JAXB be supported at runtime as well as to explicitly
annotate beans with @XmlRootElement and friends (that is, to import JAXB packages) then if
it is JAX-RS only you can register a custom (CXF JAXRS) JAXBElementProvider and tell it to
use JAXBElement internally and that is it...

under JAX-RS but with JAX-WS. Is that correct? And what is the reason for it?