cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sbery...@progress.com>
Subject Re: JAXB and JAX-RS under CXF
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:01:42 GMT
Hi

Please see a comment with S.B

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Bimschas" <bimschas@itm.uni-luebeck.de>
To: <dev@cxf.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: JAXB and JAX-RS under CXF

Oh great thing Sergey,

thanks for that answer. I just tried and it works just fine. In fact, documentation was either
misleading or I misread. The
documentation says

"This property has a limited value for JAXRS services as JAXB is supported by default, the
only supported value is 'aegis' and it is
a shortcut for registering an Aegis provider [...]"

which is a little hard to understand. One the one hand it says JAXB is supported, but on the
other hand 'aegis' is the only value
you're allowed to use. So this confused me.

> S.B : it kind of does not makse sense, now that I read it again. (CXF) JAXRS do not use
(CXF)databindings as often as they use
> 'providers', technically both terms are probably identical, but I wanted to not require
users to set this property given that they
> will probably want to register say a DataBindingProvider provider delegating to CXF Aegis
as OSGI service, with some custom
> configuration, etc...That said, for simple cases, letting users just to do "org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=atom"
would also make
> sense...

JAXB will be supported with or without "org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=jaxb" but I'll look
into simplifying the documentation and
enhancing a bit the way this org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding property is handled...

thanks, Sergey

Thanks for the clarification and the impressively fast response!

Regards,
Daniel

Am 20.01.2010 um 18:20 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:

> Hi
>
> It is possible. It has to work, you do not even has to enable it for JAXRS; for DOSGI-RI/JAX-RS
it is a default databinding given
> that the JAXRS spec requires the JAXB support OTB so I thought asking users to explictly
add org.apache.cxf.rs.databinding=jaxb
> just to enable JAXB would be too much...
> Are you seeing any issues ? I'm thinking may be I've just done another piece of the documentation
which is confusing ? One thing
> I'm saying there is that if you do not want to have your bundle modified for JAXB be
supported at runtime as well as to explicitly
> annotate beans with @XmlRootElement and friends (that is, to import JAXB packages) then
if it is JAX-RS only you can register a
> custom (CXF JAXRS) JAXBElementProvider and tell it to use JAXBElement internally and
that is it...

> cheers, Sergey
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Bimschas" <bimschas@itm.uni-luebeck.de>

but with JAX-WS. Is that correct? And what

--
M.Sc. Daniel Bimschas
Institute of Telematics, University of Lübeck