cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sbery...@progress.com>
Subject Re: [New feature] Logging in ATOM Feeds and pushing to client
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:45:54 GMT
Hi Andy

I've just had a chance to read the documentation you put in place, I think it is very impressive.
Just CC-ing to the dev list, as
this feature is still being developed, given that CXF 2.2.6 will only be released early next
year.

I have just few comments. They're more about some additional configs/etc

- At the moment the log events are embedded inside feeds, which is fine, especially when the
batch size is greater than one...I feel
it would make sense to let users choose that a single Atom entry (not wrapped by a feed) should
be pushed if a batch size is equal
to 1.
Perhaps it can done by default (batch size1 -> entry, >=1 -> feed of entries) but
let users to enable/disable this entry-only
delivery.

For ex, the remote URI can point to some other feed (collection) which the client exposes
to its own consumers, so it might be
useful to let them simply point to a feed URI and CXF will just POST individual entries to
it, it will be just a normal AtomPub
collection update.
And if users have chosen to push, say, only fatal log events, then sending an entry per log
event would not put much stress on the
CXF...

- Atom specific : users should be able to choose how a log record is embedded inside a given
entry. I like the idea of putting it
into atom:entry:/atom:content of type application/xml, however some users may prefer the Atom
extenstions, so it will be an
atom:entry/log:logRecord...The latter option might work well for json given that Abdera supports
JSON, not sure though...but also
let add an html content to the entry/content, in addition to the xml content added directly
to the entry element.

- It would be nice to let users easily inject customized WebClients (ex, preferring JSON or
set with some additional headers, etc)
from Spring, but it may actually be quite easy to do, they'll have to reconfigure a WebDeliverer
bean and possibly list a default
retrier bean ?

- I like the idea of letting users to select multiple loggers(packages)/levels...It should
cover most of cases. Perhaps, going
forward, we may let them choose not only by level but also by level and category, category
only, etc...

- At the moment, the delivery will stop if a single delivery fails, unless a retry strategy
is configured. I think it is reasonable.
But I'm thinking of having a property such as a 'send and forget' one, but we can enable it
once WebClient start supporting one
ways.

That is mostly it,
thanks, Sergey