cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sbery...@progress.com>
Subject RE: JAX-RS and generics
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:09:28 GMT
Hi

I'm concerned it may be not be portable, that is the providers which
work with other JAXRS implementations will end up being unusable in CXF.

You may be right but I've seen the number of providers which implement
MessageBodyX<Object> and then cast them internally. For ex to Feed or
Entry, etc.

Let me ask a question on the jaxrs users list...
Cheers, Sergey

-----Original Message-----
From: Benson Margulies [mailto:bimargulies@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 September 2009 03:15
To: CXF Dev
Subject: Re: JAX-RS and generics

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Benson Margulies
<bimargulies@gmail.com>wrote:

> JAX-RS defines two fundamental interfaces: MessageBodyReader<T> and
> MessageBodyWriter<T>, and providers implement.
>
> I claim that GENERIC providers that work for any object (like those
> corresponding to data bindings) should, themselves, be GENERIC, and
> implement MessageBodyX<T>, not MessageBodyX<Object>.

Allow me to modulate this claim. I thought about it some more.

If you want to define a class as 'implements MessageBodyX<Object>',
fine.
However, the right thing to pass to the Class<T> argument will ALWAYS be
Object.class. If you want to cue in the code to the sort of object in
flight, use the Type argument further down the parameter list.