cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Use Nexus for releases and/or snapshots?
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 17:44:39 GMT
On Wed July 1 2009 12:28:03 pm David Bosschaert wrote:
> What would the impact be?

There are a couple things:

1) The release managers would need to add some settings into their
settings.xml to allow them to deploy to repository.apache.org.   Not a huge
deal.

2) The "mvn release:prepare; mvn release:perform" steps are normal, but after
the release:perform deploys, you would need to login to repository.apache.org
to close the staging area as well as get the URL to the staging area that you
will need for the vote thread.

The main difference is AFTER the vote.   With the current process, you need to
use the funky maven-stage-plugin to copy from the staging area to your local
disk where it packages it up and uploads it and unpacks and such.

With nexus, you just login to repository.apache.org and click a few buttons to
"Promote" the release.   It's very quick and easy.    If the vote doesn't
pass, you login and have nexus delete the staging area.

You can see the Maven PMC release process at:
http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html
They have screen shots and such.

The main thing it saves is not requiring the SCP stuff to copy to/from
people.apache.org (thus, a bit easier for windows folks), and not using the
stage plugin saves a bunch of transferring large things back and forth.   For
the main CXF stuff, that's about 100MB each way.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org