cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher J Blythe <cjbly...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JAX-RS benchmark application?
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:58:19 GMT
Just wanted to add my two cents... So, whenever we discuss "benchmarks",
there are always two different directions to go... micro-level benchmarks
that focus on a single component and end-2-end, full workload benchmarks
that stress the interactions between multiple components. Typically, the
micro-benchmarks are more useful for performance improvement work and the
full end-2-end applications are better suited for relaying performance
expectations for "real" applications.

At this stage of the Wink project, I would lean more heavily on the
micro-benchmarks because...
- Focuses on specific feature and function within the JAX-RS runtime (aka.
performance isn't over-shadowed by heavier components like JPA database
access, etc.)
- Easier to port/deploy to other implementations for comparison purposes
- Easier to drive performance tests

Simple function-based samples are pretty easy to use a micro-benches.

Chris

Christopher Blythe
Software Engineer, IBM WebSphere Performance
cjblythe@us.ibm.com
(919) 486-2105  t/l 526-2105