cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas L Gallardo <nlgal...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JAX-RS benchmark application?
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:06:48 GMT

Chris,

I would agree that micro-benchmarks make more sense right now.  So, to that
end, should we just focus on having a set of simple samples that can be
bundled up to accomplish this?  Or would you rather see a dedicated
application that examines specific paths?

-N

Nicholas Gallardo
WebSphere  - REST & WebServices Development
nlgallar@us.ibm.com
Phone: 512-286-6258
Building: 903 / 5G-016

             Christopher J
             Blythe/Raleigh/IB
             M@IBMUS                                                    To
                                       wink-dev@incubator.apache.org
             06/24/2009 09:58                                           cc
             AM                        dev@cxf.apache.org,
                                       wink-dev@incubator.apache.org
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: JAX-RS benchmark application?
             dev@cxf.apache.or

Just wanted to add my two cents... So, whenever we discuss "benchmarks",
there are always two different directions to go... micro-level benchmarks
that focus on a single component and end-2-end, full workload benchmarks
that stress the interactions between multiple components. Typically, the
micro-benchmarks are more useful for performance improvement work and the
full end-2-end applications are better suited for relaying performance
expectations for "real" applications.

At this stage of the Wink project, I would lean more heavily on the
micro-benchmarks because...
- Focuses on specific feature and function within the JAX-RS runtime (aka.
performance isn't over-shadowed by heavier components like JPA database
access, etc.)
- Easier to port/deploy to other implementations for comparison purposes
- Easier to drive performance tests

Simple function-based samples are pretty easy to use a micro-benches.

Chris

Christopher Blythe
Software Engineer, IBM WebSphere Performance
cjblythe@us.ibm.com
(919) 486-2105  t/l 526-2105