cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sbery...@progress.com>
Subject JAX-RS : Merges to 2.1.x branch
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:13:26 GMT
Hi,

CXF 2.1.x branch supports a 0.8 version of JAX-RS api.

We put quite a lot of effort into ensuring 2.1.x users can write functional
RESTful applications with the help of JAX-RS 0.8 api, by not only back merging all the fixes
needed but also adapting some of the code from the CXF 2.2 lines (which uses jax-rs 1.0 api).
For example, CXF REStful client api is fully supported in the 2.1.x line, even though the
UriBuilder (which is used extensively in the client runtime) has different interfaces in 1.0
and 0.8.

During the last couple of months I didn't do any backmerges into 2.1.x as the bulk of changes
which made it into 2.2 are either new enhancements or 1.0 api centric, as I found, especially
in the latter case, the backmerges can be quite costly and time consuming. With the 2.2.x
branch now being created I feel it makes sense to stop backmerging into 2.1.x unless :

* bugs in 2.1.x have to be fixed
* 2.1.x users ask for certain features which are available in 2.2/2.3 be copied to 2.1.x which
is something I would be happy to do provided there're no 0.8 api restrictions.

I hope it will make sense given that most users are l;ooking forward to migrating to JAX-RS
1.0 api.

cheers, Sergey