cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC Proposal:Implement the SOAP/JMS specification for CXF
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:04:19 GMT
On Tue March 31 2009 1:24:37 pm liucong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started to consider other ideas.

If you (or any of the other students) are considering another option, the
soap/tcp project is, in some ways, a bit easier than the soap/jms project.  A
few  reasons:

1) The soap/tcp thing really is limitted to soap/tcp per the soap/tcp spec
where as the JMS transport in CXF also does "plain xml" and can do json and
other things.  Thus, you don't need the legacy stuff.

2) Since CXF doesn't support anything like this yet, no need to worry about
back words compatibility.

3) There are already 2 other implementations (metro and a plugin for .net)
that can be used to test interopability with.  One issue with soap/jms is that
since the spec isn't final, there aren't implementations.   Thus, nothing to
really test with.  (other than the not-finished-yet test suite)

That said, the soap/tcp would require a bit more "low level" programming for
wire frames and such, but you could look into Mina to help out there.   Thus,
an opportunity to look at  and work with multiple projects.

That said, there are a lot of really good ideas on the Apache GSoC page:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009
that could also span projects.   The cxf-stonehenge (Stonehenge), cxf-sdo
(Tuscany), and cxf-eventpub (Abdera) also can span projects.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org