cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sbery...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Multiple HTTP methods per method in JAXRS (Re: Possibly retarded question)
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:42:55 GMT
> > Don't make Roy Fielding have to come around to your house!

This is funny :-)

> I think if you use GET and POST on the same URI  then you are
> innappropriately 'crossing the streams' and making it ambiguous
> as to whether the invocation is idempotent or not.

That is true.
That said, one way of looking at having say both GET and POST at the same method is that a
user is saying : I know
that some new clients call GET and while others (legacy ones) call POST (with POST clients
in this example providing an unexpected
HTTP method), which I reckon what Gary is after in this case. Typically users write filters
to do it or provide multiple methods
delegating to a common one. Supporting multiple HTTP methods on a single method would be just
another way to achieve the same fairly
specific goal.

Cheers, Sergey