cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Eoghan Glynn" <eogl...@progress.com>
Subject RE: Getting the Distributed OSGi component out of the CXF sandbox
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:48:41 GMT

Hi David,

It would be great to have RFC 126 support in Felix as well as Equinox, as obviously this would
remove a barrier to wide adoption of dOSGi.

So I agree, it would be a good move to contribute back the ListenerHook support from the forked
version of Felix that we've put in the CXF sandox. In practical terms, it would be more straight-forward
for us to take a dependency on another maven-friendly Apache project. However, there are a
few bits of work required before the Felix-based ListenerHook support could be submitted to
Felix:

- align the ListenerHook interface with the final version used in Equinox

- find some alternative mechanism for transparent registration of remote services looked up
directly (i.e. via BundleContext.getServiceReferences() as opposed to a ServiceTracker/Listener)

- probably a bit more test coverage

We'd then be relying on the Felix community to flesh out the initial contribution, so as to
form a fully-fledged RFC 126 implementation (e.g. add support for the FindHook, which we don't
use directly in distributed OSGi, but would be useful in other contexts).

But I also think we really should be leveraging the existing Equinox 126 implementation in
the near-term, for example to validate the initial re-basing of dOSGi on the new version of
the ListenerHook. Also, the earlier we smoke out any issues in the Equinox service hooks (e.g.
in advance of the OSGi EEG f2f meeting next week), the better chance we have of getting a
rapid fix.

Cheers,
Eoghan