cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r702656 - in /cxf/trunk/rt/transports/jms/src: main/java/org/apache/cxf/transport/jms/ test/java/org/apache/cxf/transport/jms/
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 00:03:53 GMT

Technical documentation, yes, I use "you" all the time there.  Windows- and
browser-error messages, frequently yes also, because you're trying to be
warm and friendly to a non-technical user.  Lower-level Oracle database
error[1] or operating system messages, I would say "you" looks strange, and
irritating to the reader.  I guess CXF is in a grey zone between the
two--but since these are config errors, perhaps OK to use "you".

Sometimes firmness/coldness in error messages gives the user a more
comfortable feeling about the robustness of the application he/she are
using.  Oracle probably wouldn't seem as solid a database if it used "you"
in its system-level error messages.  It is similar to the situation with
automated voices.  While setting your voicemail account or listening to your
cell phone messages, a pleasant female voice is normally used, but in
prerecorded emergency messages over a loudspeaker (say for a fire alarm), a
male voice is used because it makes people more comfortable in that
scenario.

Glen

[1] http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.error_search