cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sergey.beryoz...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Aegis versus jaxrs
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:55:26 GMT
Hi,

First the good news - I heroically :-) fixed the AegisTest by adding a plain old cast when
passing AegisTestBean.class and your
provider works perfectly well. This is how it works for JAXB too.

> The RI/required section of the 1.0 FR calls for a MessageBodyReader
> that delivers JAXBElements! In other words, they aren't really
> thinking about delivering arbitrary Java objects.

I think Jersey does do arbitrary objects too using Object.

> @Provider on a generic class is likely to prove chaotic (or maybe it
> just works), I'm not quite sure what to do. Is @Provider in the
> version of the spec we are implementing.

@Provider is the annotation on which Jersey relies to scan the classpath for the all available
custom providers such that a user
does not have to explicitly configure them.
We don't do the classpath scanning and to be honest I don't really like this feature anyway
- there's just too much magic happening
and it's only likely to lead to maintenance/provider clashes issues. And one would probably
need to configure which packages can be
scanned too - so I don't see any advantage. We may need to start supporting it (scanning classpath
for providers) by the time we
start working on meeting the TCK requirements though.

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll try the experiment with the breakpoint again.
>>
>> The API of MessageBodyReader suggests to me that, indeed, it expects
>> end-programmers to declare things like:
>>
>> MessageBodyReader<MyClass> r = new SomeProviderOrAnother<MyClass>();
>>  MyClass x = r.readFrom(MyClass.class, ....)

Agreed, but it's not good for arbitrary objects...

>> I want to look at the spec to see if its authors gave any examples of
>> this kind, which is why I asked for a spec pointer.

Sorry, here're the page

[1] https://jsr311.dev.java.net/

Cheers, Sergey